The YMCA is a worldwide movement of adults, children and families that come together to grow in spirit mind and body. Mission-driven Ys inspire people to care about the world and each other, to have a sense of integrity, to foster a culture of mutual understanding and respect, and to accept responsibility for their own lives and commit to improving the lives of others.
Let me be 100% clear.
- We stand against racism, in all its forms, against people of color who have been denied our country’s promise of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.
- We commit to speak up when injustice is perpetrated. Silence allows racism to persist in ways not always visible. We know we haven’t always done everything we could.
- We continue to diversify our staff and boards in intentional ways, and know we can do more.
- We denounce structural racism as a moral issue, and commit to use our power, big or small, to fight against it.
- We will challenge ourselves and others in the community to uphold these statements, and ask you to help hold us accountable.
- We commit to deepen our mission so we can build a community where everyone can breathe.
Diane Dickerson, CEO
Bangor Region YMCA