Free LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA Program and All Cancer Support Services
Since 1997, the Bangor Region YMCA has assisted the Maine cancer community in reclaiming their lives from a cancer diagnosis through many programs of our Y, which have evolved through the years. This includes a free screening program in partnership with Northern Light Eastern Maine Medical Center, support groups, and our evidence-based exercise program.
Our team of caring professionals will help you focus on three major areas to improve your health:
- LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA is a free evidence-based program that helps adult cancer patients and survivors (at least 18 years old) reclaim their health following a cancer diagnosis. Offered in person at the Y and virtually.
- Meets two times per week over a 12-week period for 60-minutes
- Focuses on cardiovascular exercise, strength training, balance, and flexibility exercises
- Includes a full membership to the Bangor Region YMCA for the 12-week period
- Facilitated by LIVESTRONG at the YMCA Certified Instructors
- Alumni opportunities are offered upon graduation with a YMCA membership
- Strong Connections at the Y using group activities, education, and mindfulness to increase social connections
- Men & Women Support Groups for cancer patients and survivors are offered in person and virtually through our Caring Connections partnership with Northern Light Eastern Maine Medical Center. Send us an email for more information about our support groups.
- Adult Counseling Service
- Annual Cancer Survivorship Retreat at our Y’s Camp Jordan
- Camp Hope, an annual one-week program at our Y’s Camp Jordan for children living with cancer and their families
- Classes & Workshops held in collaboration with local health experts for adult cancer survivors on specific interests. Offered in person and virtual.
- One-On-One Client Support for specific case information, including other resources to help with specific needs
- Free Breast & Cervical Cancer screenings through our partnership with Northern Light Eastern Maine Medical Center, Northern Light Family Medicine and Residency and Maine CDC Breast and Cervical Health Program.