A free 1-year Bangor Region YMCA membership is included for patient and care partner.
The Bangor Region YMCA’s Wellness Program for Alzheimer’s Patients and their Care Partners is an evidence-based program focused on providing social, emotional, physical, and quality of life improvements.
During this 12-week program, both patient and care partner will each attend two 2-hour classes each week either in person or virtually and will have a wide variety of options available to them. Each participant will be guided by our Health & Wellness Team to the options that will be most beneficial to them and help slow progression of the disease. Care partners will have the option to participate in activities together with patients or separately.
Each 2-hour class will include:
- Up to one hour with a support group or an education session
- Up to an hour of an activity focused on physical wellness or emotional, social, and mental wellness.
Our team of caring professionals will help you focus on three major areas to improve your health:
- Classes that involve aerobic and resistance exercises designed for older adults, focusing on cardiovascular and strength—full body with dumbbells or body weight, balance and flexibility.
- Strong Connections at the Y using support groups, group activities, education, and mindfulness to increase social connections.
- Exploration of extracurricular activities designed to promote greater engagement in activity for both care partner and patient for greater quality of life.
- Education on community resources and support to care partners and patient, including Alzheimer’s Association community education classes.
- Possible transportation support for participants.