Includes YMCA membership with access to fitness classes, fitness center, weight room and pools during participation in the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program.
The YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program focuses on small, measurable, reasonable goals to give participants confidence that they can make the necessary changes to reduce their risk of type 2 diabetes and live healthier lives. This is a yearlong, evidence-based program consisting of 25 sessions where participants work in small groups with a trained Lifestyle Coach in a relaxed, classroom setting. The program uses CDC-approved curriculum and is part of the CDC-led National Diabetes Prevention program.
Offered in person at the Y or virtually.
To qualify for the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program, participants must be:
- 18 years old or older
- Overweight with a BMI≥25 (Asian adults BMI≥23)
- Diagnosed with prediabetes via one of three blood tests or a previous diagnosis of gestational diabetes. (If a blood test is not available, participant must have a qualifying risk score.)
Our team of caring professionals will help you focus on three major areas to improve your health:
- Goal: Reduce body weight by 7% and increase physical activity by 150 minutes per week.
- Work with a trained Lifestyle Coach to set personal fitness goals and customize a physical fitness plan during the program.
- Strong Connections at the Y using group activities, education, and mindfulness to increase social connections.
- Social support and education is the primary focus to help build healthy lifestyle habits and reduces risks of type 2 diabetes.
- Small class and support sessions are kept small to foster relationships and encourage sharing.
- Twenty-five classes led by a trained Lifestyle Coach
- Learn how to incorporate healthier eating, moderate physical activity, and problem-solving and coping skills into daily life.
This is a fee-based program. Financial assistance is available for those who qualify.